It is winter in Newark NJ, which means that we have plenty of cold days. Snow and ice are common this time of year, which is why it is important to winterize your vehicle. The professional insurance agents E.S.T.I.R. Inc. want you to be safe and your car running in tip-top shape throughout the season, which is why we believe you should prepare your car for the cold by winterizing it.
What Does It Mean to Winterize Your Car?
Winterizing your car basically means that you perform regular maintenance on it each winter to ensure your drive is safe and smooth. It helps your vehicle to handle the cold weather and potentially treacherous road conditions. Some of the things you should do or have a mechanic do, to get your car in shape for winter include:
- Check that the thermostat and defroster are in good working order.
- Examine your tires and make sure they have plenty of tread or replace them.
- Make sure your vehicle has plenty of antifreeze.
- Keep your gas tank at full whenever possible to protect the fuel line from freezing.
- Keep an emergency kit of essentials in your vehicle.
Why These Steps Are Necessary
By taking these simple steps, you can protect yourself against potential road hazards. For example, if you encounter snow and ice, it is important to have good tires. If your tires lack tread, you increase your risk of losing control of the vehicle. To stay warm, you need the heater and thermostat to work while driving. And if your vehicle breaks down, an emergency kit can keep you safe until help arrives. Always remember to call your insurance agent at E.S.T.I.R. Inc. of Newark, NJ if you need assistance. We are here to help.